Monday, May 18, 2009

You never know...

You never know how your life is going to turn out. There are so many things I never foresaw for myself, some good, some bad, all working together for the final good. You know I never thought I would be twenty-six and not have a college education. I never thought I'd have a miscarriage. I never thought I'd love anyone as much as I love Jon and Benjamin. I never thought I'd have a c-section. I never thought I'd be diagramming sentences at midnight....
Okay, let me explain. I was nervous about leaving the baby to return to work today, so I had some trouble falling asleep last night. My sweetheart was reading to me in an attempt to lull me into dreamland and I heard this sentence: In a moment they were outof the light and in the eerie shadows cast by the rising moon, just showing its brilliant face above the hill behind the house. And I said from behind my sleepmask, under the sheets, to my husband, in the middle of the night, "Man, that's a lot of prepositions in one sentence!" After talking for a while about the particulars of prepositional phrases and other sentence parts, we laughed at ourselves. I said, "I never saw this coming. I just never thought I'd be diagramming sentences in the middle of the night with my husband." Really, you never know.

No comments: